The public consultation to support the European Commission defining a modernised and simplified Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) is open until 2nd May 2017.
The public consultation is done by a questionnaire consisting of 34 questions or comments-boxes split into 5 parts.
A) About you
B) Agriculture, Rural areas and the CAP todayAgriculture, Rural areas and the CAP today
C) Objectives and GovernanceObjectives and Governance
D) Agriculture, Rural areas and the CAP tomorrowAgriculture, Rural areas and the CAP tomorrow
E) Wrap up: Modernisation and simplificationWrap up: Modernisation and simplification
Of these 5 parts (marked A to E) – the first part “A – About You” is mandatory – whereas you can choose to answer the remaining questions – see further about the requirements below.
You might find some of the questions very “Farmer specific”, which is reasonable – it is the Agricultural Poicy, but rural development is visible in several questions.
Please do note the very last point (34), which enables you to attach a document to your answer. This could be the European Rural Manifesto. You can find a link to the Manifesto here.
Country of residence Tick the appropriate box
You are replying (as) Tick the appropriate box (Individual/Organisation)
Name and email address
Involved in farming? Tick the appropriate box (Yes / No)
Your contribution to be treated public or anonymously Tick the appropriate box
13 questions, where you are asked to pick 1, 3 or 5 of the answers suggested or write comments (the last two). Topics being on the challenges, tools and aims at the present CAP.
1: Which are the most important challenges for EU agriculture and rural areas?
2. Which of the current CAP policy tools are best suited to meet the challenges identified above?
3. To what extent does the current CAP successfully address these (above) challenges?
4. Which of the following do you think are the most important contributions of farmers in our society?
5. To what extent do you agree with the following statement: (About farmers’ income)
6. Which are the most important environmental challenges faced by agriculture?
7. To what extent does the current CAP successfully address these (above) environmental challenges?
8. What are the main barriers to becoming a farmer?
9. What do you see as major drivers for innovation in agriculture, forestry and the rural economy?
10. Since 2003, the Farm Advisory Service (FAS) aims at helping farmers to better understand and meet EU rules and good agricultural and environmental conditions. How would you characterise the current situation of the FAS in your respective territory, as regards….
11. To what extent did recent CAP reforms pay sufficient attention to Policy Coherence for Development?
12. What are the main problems/obstacles preventing the current policy from successfully delivering on its objectives? What are the drivers behind these problems? – up to 1500 characters
13. Which elements of the current CAP are the most burdensome or complex and why? – up to 1500 characters
5 questions, where you are asked to pick 3-5 of the answers suggested, write comments or indicate to what degree you agree to statements given. Topics being on which challenges (employment, rural economy, climate change, migration, cohesion and solidarity) the future CAP should address and at what level (EU, National, Regional or Local). You can add suggestions for new objectives.
14. The work of the European Commission focuses on 10 priorities for 2014-2020, most of which are relevant to the CAP – please indicate what you find most relevant (Please be aware that the list is not consistent with the 10 priorities!)
The priorities can be found at this link – and the headlines can be found below:
1. Jobs, Growth and Investment
2. Digital Single Market
3. Energy Union and Climate
4. Internal Market
5. A deeper and Fairer Economic and Monetary Union
6. A balanced EU-US Free Trade Agreement
7. Justice and Fundamental Rights
9. A stronger Global Actor
10. Democratic change
15. Which of the following should be the most important objectives of the CAP?
16. Do you see the need to add objectives for a modernised CAP; if yes, which ones? – up to 1500 characters
17. Do you agree with the following statement: "It makes sense to have a Common Agricultural Policy because we need …"
18. At which level do you consider that the following CAP objectives should primarily be dealt with?
12 questions, where you are asked to indicate to what degree you agree to statements given or pick 3-5 of the answers suggested. Topics being on short supply chains, knowledge transfer/sharing, infrastructure, quality of life, social inclusion and LEADER.
19. Do you agree with the following statements: (Farmers income and benefits)
20. Do you think that the following actions under the CAP could improve the competitiveness of farmers? (way of support)
21. Which of the following criteria are most relevant when allocating direct support?
22. Which actions could further improve the EU export performance?
23. Considering consumer and wider societal demands, where can the linkage between CAP and standards be improved?
24. When it comes to meeting higher production standards, do you agree with the following statements? (Incentives, rules, mandatory/voluntary)
25. For which of the following environmental protection objectives should the CAP do more?
26. Which are the most important objectives for the CAP to better address climate change?
27. In which of the following areas do you consider that the CAP should strengthen its support to sustainable forest management?
28. Where should the CAP improve its contribution for rural areas?
29. How can the CAP better help young farmers or other young rural entrepreneurs?
30. What would be the best way to encourage innovation?
3 questions, where you are asked to indicate to what degree you agree to statements given or write comments – AND – an option to upload a document, which could be the European Rural Manifesto. Topics being on concrete improvements on coordination, control and simplifications
31. Do you think the CAP could be simpler if:
32. Do you have concrete ideas for simplifying the CAP and reducing the administrative burden for farmers, beneficiaries (or public administrations)? Please specify and explain the reasons behind your suggestions. – up to 1500 characters
33. Do you have more ideas for modernising the CAP? – up to 1500 characters
34. Please feel free to upload a concise document (maximum 5 pages), such as a position paper. The maximal file size is 1MB.