What is it?
The European Rural Parliament is a long-term campaign to express the voice of rural people in Europe; and to promote self-help and action by the rural people, in partnership with civil society and governments.
It reaches a climax every two years with a gathering of rural people from all parts of Europe. The next European Rural Parliament will be held in October 2017 in the Netherlands.
Why is it needed?
200 million people, almost one third of the population of the wider Europe, live in rural areas. They contribute strongly to local, national and European economies. Their social and economic well-being is of crucial importance. They face great challenges, including loss of young people and of rural services in many regions. Their future depends upon vigorous action by the rural communities themselves, and upon well-conceived policies and action by governments at all levels.
The ERP campaign is driven by the belief that the interests of rural communities (i.e. all people who live or work in rural regions) are under-represented in national and European debates and in the shaping of policies and programmes; that rural people themselves have the best understanding of their strengths, opportunities and needs; and that rural communities should be encouraged to take action in pursuit of their own well-being, and to be positive partners of governments at all levels.
What is its aim?
The European Rural Parliament is designed to:
- Strengthen the voice of the rural communities of Europe, and to ensure that the interests and well-being of these communities are strongly reflected in national and European policies
- Promote self-help, common understanding, solidarity, exchange of good practice and cooperation among rural communities throughout Europe.
- Enable rural people to play their full role in addressing the great economic and political challenges which are currently affecting Europe. The European institutions are struggling to face these challenges. They need to connect with the concerns, the aspirations and the energies of European citizens. We wish to help in that process.
Who organises it?
The European Rural Parliament is co-initiated by three pan-European networks:
- European Rural Community Alliance (ERCA)
- PREPARE Partnership for Rural Europe
- European LEADER Association for Rural Development (ELARD)
A major role in the European Rural Parliament campaign is being played by European and national partners, most of whom are members of the co-initiating networks – see Contacts page for detail of these partners.